About This Blog
Welcome to James' Philosophical Agora - James' Meeting Place On-Line. (Updated June 2017)
‘James' Philosophical Agora’ is an on-line archive for various pieces of personal writing on mostly fairly serious subjects; yet hopefully with a few amusing or curious items and anecdotes along the way as well. Many pieces were primarily written to share with individual friends, but are made available here for any others who might find the points discussed interesting or helpful, or who are 'treading the same path' and may wish to comment or add to them.
I have a separate blog where I share my enthusiasm for the specific philosophical tradition of Socrates, Plato and Aristotle at: Socrates 4 Today
As well as leaving comments on any of the blog posts, you can also contact me personally if you would like to discuss any particular items further: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday, May 23, 2011
Maybe you also need to be a bit more adventurous which sections of the library you look in. I think you might be a bit like I had been previously, when I went to the library as in fact even I still do from time to time. I must admit I spent more time in the library coffee shop with the newspapers than I did sorting through those mostly old books. Oh…. And I forgot to say – don’t worry if your book is a bit dusty and no one else seems that interested in that section of the library where you looking. I suspect all those books on gardening, D.I.Y., etc are not your really your scene - although quite popular these days – so don’t be at all worried that somehow it is “you” who is looking in the wrong part of the library as you sort through the books of life on offer. The young guys are looking at the football books etc of course quite naturally, but they have a lot of time before starting something slightly more serious in earnest. You just go to one of those quite sections of the library and start looking in earnest for a book of life you will choose to read in the not to distant future – or at least try reading the first few chapters of one or two of them to see if it is the best book for you. Eventually, you will know the best book for you – as like I say – it will somehow feel right for you.
Pieces about Current Interests 2017 - 2018
New 2016 - Thoughts and Ideas from Greece
Earlier Posts On This Blog from 2015
- Economy - Greece - 01 - The Big Greek Export They stoped Making
- Economy - Greece - 02 - Greek Debts - Think Outside The Bank Box
- Economy - Greece - 03 - Greece Thinks Germany Owes The Debt - Distimo
- Human Soul - Does it Exist - and Is It Immortal if it Does?
- On Love - 01 - Love Has Many Guises
- On Love - 02 - Regarding the Longevity of True Love
- Politics 01 - Can You Tell Me Please ? Some Basic Questions About Politics
- Practical Philosophy 01 - "Know Thyself" - (Socrates Encourages Young Alcibiades Who Wants Political Office..... part A of a talk )
- Practical Philosophy 02 - Your Own Unique Philosophical Path and tips on how to uncover it - part B of "Know Thyself" talk
- Practical Philosophy 03 - Arete and Living With Virtue
- Practical Philosophy 04 - Apotheioses - and starting from the bottom again
- Practical Philosophy 05 - Life Is An Opportunity - and we have to choose wisely....
- Science 01 - How Algorithms Shape Our Modern World and Choose Our TV Programmes For Us !
- Spiritual Writing 01 - The Boats and the Choice of Companions for that Long Voyage. (A letter to my friend George - 2004)
- Spiritual Writing 02 - The Library of Life - Finding The Correct Spiritual Path and Knowing Thyself (A second letter to my friend George - 2005)
- Tips For The Week.... A Few Light Hearted Suggestions for Real Philosophers struggling along life's varied Path